Monday, March 3, 2008

Life in The Netherlands

I'm still living in the Netherlands (god help me), seriously takes a lot of getting used to. Im here 4.5 years, and I'm still getting used to it.

The Dutch are just plain weird (if you're Dutch and reading this, you know its true). Lets face it they gave us the wonder that is reality TV (they did the original Big Brother and now look...), Adam Curry and they have forever contaminated the music world with 2Unlimited (no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no no, no theres no lyyrrrrrics.....).

OK, I'm married to a Dutch man, but he's not completely Dutch, his mom is English, so he got the English manners (please and thank you, that sort of this). And it has to be said that manners are something sorely lacking in this country. Seriously, if you say thanks or give a dutch person a compliment they look at you as if you have 10 heads. Its so WEIRD.

There are two great books that you should read if you ever plan on coming the Netherlands (I don't remember who wrote them, but you could still try and get them, they shouldn't be too hard to track down). The first is a short book, its short and extremely easy to read, its like a quick guide its The Xenophobes Guide to the Dutch. Its seriously funny, and SO accurate. It doesn't exhaggerate. When you read it you think that its blowing it all out of proportion, but its NOT. Its all true.

The next one Undutchables, this is available in english and dutch, and its hilarious. Especially when they talk about Dutch birthday celebrations (which make wakes look like fun...). A more accurate portrayal of dutch life you WILL not find.

Anyway, my moan is officially over, but if you want any insights into life here, just send me a message, I'll be very glad to rant and rave... I'm sure I'll find it very theraputic...

No comments: